Easy Fritters Recipe – Basil Cream Sauce Recipe – Fritters Recipes
« Luscious Lemon Bread or Cake
Apple & Raisin Coffee Braid »
Spring has been upon us and vegetables are in abundance. Since I have been slowly inching towards a vegan diet, I have been doing a lot of experimenting with vegetarian dishes. Pan fried vegetables sounds healthy enough, I mean it isn’t actually deep fried. And of course nothing fried can ever go wrong, right? Wrong. While the idea of a crispy vegetable fritter sounds good, the execution didn’t quite make it.
Delicious Rating: Easy recipe to make as long as you follow the very simple directions of shredding, mixing, and frying. These fritters just didn’t do anything for my palate. The Basil cream dipping sauce was great but overall I wasn’t satisfied with the meal. I expected something else to come out of something fried! I doubt I will make this dish again. I served it with some leftover rice and it did do a bit better when coupled with the rice but then I could have just stir-fried my vegetables instead. Also the batter began to turn soggy fast after it was fried. You might have more success with the recipe, so let me know how it turns out.
FOR RECIPE & PHOTO GUIDE CLICK →
Vegetable Fritters & Basil Cream Sauce
Recipe type: Appetizer
Yields: 8 Fritters
- 1 large carrot
- 1 zucchini
- 1 yellow squash (or red bell pepper)
- ⅓ cup flour
- ⅓ cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- 1 egg
- ½ cup of vegetable oil
- Dipping Sauce:
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- ⅔ cup of fresh chopped basil
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Start with Dipping Sauce.
- Add all ingredients in blender and process until smooth.
- Refrigerate while cooking the fritters.
- Shred the three vegetables on coarse side of a grater.
- Pat vegetables with paper towels until very dry.
- Mix in with the vegetables the flour, cheese, salt & pepper, and egg.
- Heat oil over medium heat in skillet.
- Drop ¼ cup of batter into hot oil and flatten to make about a 3 inch round.
- Fry fritters, 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Place on paper towels and keep warm in oven until ready to serve.
Mix and match your veggies but stick with colorful ones (not potatoes) so that the fritters look appealing once fried.
Not too much oil is needed when frying. Be sure not to add too many fritters to the pan, too many can lower the oil heat and cause the fritter to absorb way too much of the oil.